STORY #18: THE SLEEPING PRINCE
Updated: Jun 17, 2020
With the weather so warm and sunny, I want to share a story from Spain!
FACEBOOK LIVE SESSIONS ON TUESDAY AND THURSDAY AT 10.15AM, THEN UPLOADED TO WEBSITE! Or, click here to watch it now!
This story is based on an old Spanish story called “El rey durmiente en su lecho” (The king sleeping in his bed).
Our favourite version of this tale can be found in 'Fierce Forgotten Fairytales' by Kate Pankhurst - https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/46205397-forgotten-fairy-tales-of-brave-and-brilliant-girls
ACTIVITIES FOR YOUNG CHILDREN - EYFS / KEY STAGE 1 (0-7 years):
1. Try out some traditional fairytales in spanish! - https://www.thefablecottage.com/spanish
2. Grab some clumpy boots and set off on your own adventure!
3. Find some props - of the general household variety - and check out just how dramatic you can make your own re-working of our tale!
4. Using story stones/dice to devise the next adventure for our brave and bold princess and her prince!
ACTIVITIES FOR OLDER CHILDREN - FOR KEY STAGE 2-4 (8-15 years):
1. Create an comic strip or animation of the story - https://www.imagineforest.com/blog/how-to-create-a-comic-strip/ , www.storyboardthat.com/storyboard-creator https://www.canva.com/create/comic-strips/
2. Read some more Spanish fairytales - https://fairytalez.com/region/spanish/, https://www.worldoftales.com/Spanish_folktales.html
3. Sharpen your skills before you set about writing - https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/topics/zfkk7ty/articles/zw9p8mn
4. Try writing your own fairytale adventure for these sisters using these educational resources - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bIgvAH4T5A!
FOR GROWNUPS - STORY-ORIENTATED ESCAPISM:
(Adults) Find out just how scary some of the characters in Spanish folktales can be! - https://www.scoopwhoop.com/culture/creepy-spanish-folktales/